Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.
JOIN TROOP 355 AT JOSHUA TREE
WHEN: Friday November 16 to Sunday November 18
WHERE: Indian Cove Campground, Group Sites 10, 11, 12 Joshua Tree National Park. See directions below. The sites we have reserved can accommodate 60 people and 20 cars. We should be able to fit in 90people.
CLIMBING: We will offer three climbing options.
1. Rock Climbing Merit Badge (full day). We also need to have one merit badge class before the trip.
2. Half day climbing (more advanced climbing for Dads and Scouts who already have the merit badge).
3. Camping only
We will arrive in camp Friday night.
Climbing will start at 8:00 am Saturday morning. The climbing will be fully supervised by Joshua Tree Guides. JTG are registered BSA Climbing Merit Badge Counselors and Certified Rock Climbing Guides. Guide to climber ratio is 5:1. The Guides are certified by one or more of the following Professional Climbing Guides Institute
1. Full day merit badge with climbing and camping: $120
2. Half day more advance climbing and camping: $90
3. Camping only: $5
Checks and Releases due on Saturday November 3rd. (absolute deadline)
Checks payable to BSA Troop 355
Send to Dr. Snaer (2605 South Oak Knoll San Marino, CA 91108)
-Meals Planned by patrols(Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast)
-Friday dinner on the road
Why in the world would we camp two nights?
Several reasons: 1. Climbing starts at 8:00AM. 2. You need 21 nights of camping to get Eagle. 3. First class cooking signoff is much easier to do on a two nighter. Our next two nighter is Kern River in May.
EQUIPMENT: Bring standard camp gear for car camping. The rock climbing school provides all climbing gear. Bring warm clothes. Weather ranges from 70 degrees in the day to 35 degrees at night. We will camp at 3200’, and it can be cold and windy at night. Shorts are not recommended for climbing.
• Take I-10 East to Route 62. The exit is marked Morongo Valley and Yucca Valley.
• Continue on Route 62 for approximately 28 miles to Joshua Tree.
• Continue east through the city of Joshua Tree for about 12 miles.
• Make a right turn (south) on Indian Cove Road. Drive about 1 mile to the Park entrance. Then you continue on 2 miles and turn right into the group campsite area. We are in group campsites 10,11,12.
• Cell phone coverage is marginal at best in the campground
• The number for the NPS Ranger at Indian Cove is 760-362-4367.