Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.
COIN COLLECTING MERIT BADGE WORKSHOP
Saturday, August 28
at the Golden State Coin Show
12 noon – 3 pm (check-in begins at 11:00 am)
Arcadia Masonic Center, 50 W. Duarte Rd
the Numismatic Association of Southern California
in conjunction with the American Numismatic Association
Admission to the show is free for scouts earning the merit badge.
Space is limited. RSVP required to:
Walt Ostromecki email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Before the Workshop – Prerequisites
1. Be familiar the BSA Coin Collecting Merit Badge booklet. At the workshop, Scouts will review and complete all Requirements.
2. Bring a blue card signed by your scoutmaster.
3. Wear your Class A uniform (no sash).
4. Collect from circulation and bring five different State quarters. (Rqmt 6)
5. Collect from circulation and bring a set of currently circulating U.S. coins. Include one coin of each denomination (cent, nickel, dime, quarter, half-dollar, dollar). Rqmt 7)
6. Collect and bring the items to satisfy Rqmt 9, most likely, “For each year since the year of your birth, collect a date set of a single type of coin.”
Worksheets will be provided and completed during the class. Parents are welcome to attend. At 2:00 pm scouts will explore the coin show, which will satisfy Rqmt 10. Numismatic goodie-bags will be provided upon completion of the workshop courtesy of the ANA , NASC and the USMINT.
Counselors – Walt Ostromecki is a counselor for the BSA Balboa Oaks District, W-LA Council, and a governor and youth numismatic educator for the ANA. He received his Eagle Scout rank in 1966. He’s been a coin hobbyist, author, speaker and youth educator for 40 years. Albertus Hoogeveen is an assistant scoutmaster with Troop 93 in Fullerton. He’s a 45-year veteran scouter and an ANA life member. He’s been collecting coins since he was 10 years old.